Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Amit Kapoor

Extracts from my upcoming book Konstantin Sterkhov "Masters of Watercolor. All about Plein Air"...

Why did you decide to specialize in watercolor?
I never really thought of specializing in this medium. In the year 2001, I opened my own studio and Academy, where I was painting almost every day with my students. After a few years, I realized that from all the other Mediums watercolor was one that was pulling me more towards it. I wanted to see the results faster, and this medium was giving me the thrill and enjoyment, and I could paint almost daily. The spontaneity and the transparency of watercolors attracted me towards it.

 Amit Kapoor (India)

Do you think that there is an influence of the English watercolor tradition in Indian contemporary watercolor?
No, not really. Although, after social media has become active we have all been able to see each others’ works and are exchanging techniques, and so, often get influenced as well. However, India is country of rich colors, and we can see that mostly painters are still painting the rich colors and traditional scenes and compositions of India.

 Amit Kapoor (India)

What are your preferred brands in paper, paints and brushes?
I prefer Arches and Saunders in paper and sometimes Indian handmade when the weather is not too hot in India. In paints, I am using different brands. I am mostly using Mijello Mission Gold, as I love their bright hues, a few shades of Daniel Smith, especially their greys are fabulous, and also few of our Indian Camel kukoyo paints. I am using different ranges of Escoda brushes.

 Amit Kapoor (India)

What is your choice of painting palette?
My palette includes more blues, like French Ultramarine, cobalt and turquoise blue. Other than blues, I use Paynes Grey, yellow ochre, Vermillion Red and Van Dyke Brown.

Amit Kapoor (India)

In your opinion, what is the perspective on watercolor in India?
Watercolor had been declining until the last decade in India, but for a few years now, due to social media and the up and coming societies in India, a lot of festivals, workshops and exhibitions have been done in India, and artists are working more in watercolors now. The buyers are also showing interest in watercolor works. Therefore, the perspective looks quite bright.

Amit Kapoor (India)

Full interview you can read in my upcoming book Konstantin Sterkhov "Masters of Watercolor. All about Plein Air"... http://www.amitkapoorwatercolor.com

No comments:

Post a Comment