Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Naomi Tydeman RI

 There is a new book with interviews in progress. That book will be on abstract thinking. Some inspiring parts of interviews I would like to share with my readers... 

I was first introduced to Naomi Tydeman's art works through The Art of Watercolour magazine about 10-12 years ago. I was deeply impressed by simplicity of composition and richness of values and textures in her landscapes. Her works seemed to me a pure magic.

It was a privilege to meet Naomi at the RI exhibition at the Mall galleries in London where I also had my works in exposition. She agreed to be included in my next book. Here is a liitle part of the interview:

Naomi Tydeman. Beachscape.

How have you come to the simplicity of form?

I live on the Pembrokeshire coast and have spent many years observing the sea and the beaches and the complexity of patterns when these two elements interact.  But in the end it is the simplicity of a line and a circle which prevails, the horizon and a moon.  Wind and rain, ripples and waves, pebbles and sand, all create infinite detail, texture and pattern, but it all comes down to a line and a circle.


Naomi Tydeman. Low Tyde.

Do you have some academic background or had you an abstract mind from the very beginning?

I have had no artistic or academic background at all.  I failed my ALevel Art and no art college would accept me,  I have read little about abstract art and understand even less. I just need to paint and what comes out follows no teaching or method or genre.


Naomi Tydeman. Breaking Waves.

Where does a painting idea come from?

For these paintings there is no preconceived  idea.  I pour the paint on, I watch it and then use what it gives me.  Like life, there is little control, you just react and accept what is given, or not, as the case may be.  I waste an awful lot of paper!


Stay tuned. The book is in progress... More works by Naomi at https://www.naomitydeman.co.uk/paintings

No comments:

Post a Comment